Saturday, October 1, 2011

Guest Post: A Texan Odyssey

Good morning, friends! It's hubby's and my 5th anniversary week (actual day- Friday) and I've lined up some lovely guest posters to handle the week while I pack and get out of town! Today's featured blogger is Valerie of A Texan Odyssey and she's here to talk to you a little about healthy crowd pleasing food and realistic momma style! Double whammy, say whaaat? 

Hi everyone! I'm Valerie from A Texan Odyssey. Those cuties you see with me are my husband Ryan, and my 14 month old son, Sean. I am very blessed to have them! I love my boys!
I've been following Kimberly's blog since I first started reading blogs earlier this year and I've had so much fun getting to know her and linking up to her Project Self as well! (I started my blog to track my progress towards my pre-baby weight and then it evolved to include fashion as well!) I love her style and am so motivated by her weight loss journey and inspired by her spiritual walk too. She pretty much rocks! For my guest post today I'm excited to be sharing a healthy and tasty meal with you all and a little bit about my style as a mom too! (It's a work in progress!)
Turkey Swiss Mushroom Burger and Sweet Potato Fries
This meal is very easy for a busy mom to make for her family and it's a lot healthier than picking up its fast food counterpart. Also, turkey is better for you than beef and the sandwich thins are only 100 calories each! Plus you can't go wrong with baked sweet potato fries! Yum!
What you'll need for the burgers:
  • Package of ground turkey
  • Whole wheat sandwich thins
  • 1/2 an onion
  • 1 egg
  • Package of sliced mushrooms
  • Swiss cheese slices
  • Salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder
  • Condiments 
  • Greens and tomato (optional)
  • Olive oil
What you'll need for the fries:
  • 1 sweet potato for every 2 people 
  • Olive oil
  • Spices (I used garlic, onion and oregano)
  • Sea salt
  • A Ziploc bag
(Modified from this recipe)
    Now before I get into the directions, let me say that this meal is all about what you have time for and what you like. If you're pressed for time, you can substitute the ground turkey, onion, and egg for ready-to-cook turkey patties that you can find at any grocery store. If you don't like mushrooms, leave them out. The burgers will still be delicious! You can adapt this recipe to fit your needs!
    • First chop up your sweet potatoes into wedges or thin slices. (Thinner = Crispier) 
    • Toss the fries in a Ziploc bag with seasoning of your choice and some olive oil.
    • Arrange on a baking tray and sprinkle with sea salt.
    • Bake for 40 minutes at 375 degrees.
    • After your fries have been baking for a while you can start sauteing your mushrooms in a little bit of olive oil over medium heat. 
    • Season with salt and pepper.  
    • Stir occasionally. They'll be ready by the time your burgers are done cooking.
    • For the burgers, chop up most of half an onion, leaving a few rings intact for topping your burger with.
    • Next, combine the ground turkey, chopped onion, egg and spices.
    • Form your burgers and cook on the stove top (with some olive oil if you don't have a non-stick pan) for about 6 minutes per side over medium heat. Add your Swiss cheese slices to the top when they only have a minute or two of cooking left to melt the cheese.
    • Prepare your sandwich thins to your preference while the burgers are cooking, lettuce, tomato, onion, mustard, etc. When the burgers are ready, top them with the mushrooms and add some fries to your plate.
    • Finally, scarf your meal down and try to force yourself to only eat one burger. They're that good!
    ***************************************
    Alrighty, now for a look at my comfy mom style! Since I live in hot hot hot Texas I gravitate towards simple, cool outfits. I definitely like to keep it casual and being able to run around after my son is a priority.
    During the week when I'm rushing out the door to run errands, taking Sean to the playground, or just visiting family, my go-to look is usually shorts (or jeans) and a top with cute sandals. I know it's not fashion forward or haute couture but it's comfy and practical, and I'm fine with that.
    On weekends however, I try to have a little more fun with style.
      Whether I'm going to church or out on a date with my husband, I know I'm not going to have a toddler crawling all over me so I can pull out my white jeans or some heels, or even feather earrings! It's all about dressing for the occasion and feeling confident in what you're wearing!
    I also really love items of clothing that are versatile because you get more bang for your buck. (Which is always good in my book!) Take this maxi dress for example, tie on a shirt or layer a tee and vest over it and you've made it look completely different! 
    I still have a LOT to learn when it comes to fashion and what works well as a new mom, but I'm enjoying the process of learning and growing and I'm happy I have blogger friends like Kimberly to emulate! You all are welcome to come visit me over at A Texan Odyssey, even if it's just to see more of these guys! Except the pirate, he won't be making any more appearances. Take care and God bless!

    A big thanks goes out to Valerie for stepping in while we're away. You all have GOT to visit A Texan Odyssey and give my sweet friend some love. She's truly talented, beautiful, and inspiring and I'm glad to call her my friend!!!
    Don't forget to check out this month's new project, Old to New in October!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Just like Ke$ha (minus the craziness and whatnot), YOUR LOVE is my drug!