Friday, November 29, 2013

To My Brother on His Birthday

Dear Ryan,

Today is your 23rd birthday. I can hardly even believe that 23 years ago, I was sitting in our neighbor's room, playing with kittens, waiting to go to the hospital to meet my baby brother. I remember where I was sitting, what I was wearing, and exactly how I felt. I wanted to take care of you, hold you, feed you, and treat you like my own little live baby doll. Since then, we've had ups and downs, just like any brother-sister duo might. But, we've always loved each other and taken care of each other. Know what my favorite thing about you always has been and always will be? You're there. You're always, always, always there. See that picture on my sofa? You were there. See the one when Sadie had a question at our cousin's graduation party? Who was there to answer it? You were. See that one on the beach? The time when Sadie HAD to go see the ocean and build a sand castle in the rain? You were there. And the one with you kicking a ball to Clarke at the pumpkin patch? Because we promised little girls we'd take them. You were there. And the one with you tickling a post-trick-or-treating chicken? Yep, you were there, too. And when you were there to hold Norah when she was born and take care of Sadie while we stayed in the hospital? You were there. And that one of you and me? Because you're always there for me. Always. 

I love you so much and I'm proud and blessed that you're my little brother and my best friend. Happy 23rd, Ry. May this year bring you more love and joy than any so far and less than all of the following ones.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Just like Ke$ha (minus the craziness and whatnot), YOUR LOVE is my drug!